Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Metallica - My Apocalypse Review

Metallica - My Apocalypse
by LoC

So if you haven't heard, Metallica put up the complete song "My Apocalypse" for streamed listening, and I listened to the song twice yesterday and will share my thoughts on it. The first thing I would like to state is that it was surprisingly kinda okay. The song was definitely more metal oriented than anything Metallica has done in a long time, although it still can't touch any of the 80's albums. James Hetfield's vocals are better than on St. Anger, but they are still pretty terrible. He seems to be TRYING to sound like he used to, but he ruined his vocals on the black album tour as you may have heard, and well...he still hasn't recovered and it's painfully obvious. The song is fairly fast paced and almost thrashy, but only in a shallow surface kind of way. This song is no classic, but it's also completely listenable which is more than I could say for St. Anger. Any Metallica fans should give this song a listen and see what you think, but don't expect any kind of new classic here. Regardless of flaws, this song is better than anything Metallica has done in well over a decade. Stream it from Metallica's site and see what you think, but it looks like Metallica's newest album may not be entirely terrible after all.

1 comment:

Anotherbobhead said...

The Day That Never Comes is pretty neat. Maybe it's just because I've been playing along with it on guitar, but I'm really digging that. You should totally check that song out.